Vegas Office Blood Drive (9/15/15)
Nine brave souls in our Las Vegas office braved the daunting prick of a needle today in order to donate blood during a drive hosted by the American Red Cross. These generous donations will help to meet the high demand for donated blood (see the statistics below), and we thank those who participated.
Some facts about blood donation from the American Red Cross:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- Sickle cell disease affects more than 70,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.